- Sudbury Public Schools
- Brad's Bulletins
February 27, 2020 // Superintendent's Update on School Start Times
Beginning with the 2020-2021 school year, Sudbury elementary schools will start their day an hour earlier than they traditionally have, at 7:55 a.m., and conclude at 2:25 p.m. Additionally, Curtis Middle School will transition to an 8:30 a.m. start time with the final bell coming at 3:10 p.m.
Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School will start at 8:25 a.m. beginning at the start of the 2020-2021 school year.
To facilitate the changes, the Sudbury Public Schools established multiple working groups designed to address concerns students and parents may have about the new schedule’s impact on logistics and programming.
To learn more about the rationale for the changes in start times, please visit the SPS website and the archived information from the School Committee’s Subcommittee who provided the research and information to the community.
- Bus pass registration will be open beginning next week (March 3rd) and will close on March 31st. Each family will be notified by email with specific registration instructions and it is critically important for all users to be registered during this period to ensure proper bus route development. Bus routes and schedules will be developed in April and May and posted on the district website as early as possible.
- Families are encouraged to download and register for the FirstView app, which provides live tracking of buses and can provide up-to-the-minute updates on arrival times.
The District is currently considering different transportation models for students traveling to and from Boston and will inform families as soon as feasibly possible.
Curtis Middle School
- Beginning next year, parents and guardians should know that students may not be dropped off at Curtis before 8:10 a.m. unless their student has an appointment with a teacher or is attending the breakfast program.
- Breakfast will be served from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Sports teams and clubs will meet immediately after the school day ends.
- The ILAP (Improved Learning for All) schedule for students is 8:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Doors will open at 7:45 a.m. and students will be marked late after 7:55
- Breakfast will be served from 7:15-7:45 am.
- Elementary clubs run by SPS (e.g. Math Club and LINC) will take place after school. Start times of privately run elementary clubs will be determined by the facilitators.
- The ILAP (Improved Learning for All) schedule for students is 7:55 a.m.-11:45 a.m.
- The 2020-21 District Calendar is linked here. The calendar will be updated once ILAP days have been finalized.
- Kindergarten students will begin full-day kindergarten on September 8, 2020. Students and their families will be invited by appointment for a welcome session on September 2 or 3. Individual schools will be communicating scheduling specifics.
- The middle school band and orchestra will meet during the last two periods of the day.
- Select jazz band and orchestra will meet on Wednesday mornings, beginning at 7:30 a.m.
- Elementary instrumental music instruction will take place at the beginning of the school day, while the middle school music program will be held during the last two periods of the day.
- The first day of preschool is September 8. The first session of preschool will take place from 8-10:30 a.m., while the second session will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Morning session students will eat lunch at 11 a.m.
- The Lunch Bunch program is an option for students attending either morning or afternoon preschool from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- The schedule has been designed to both align with many private preschool programs and allow parents and guardians time to return home before school buses carrying older children arrive.
Before and After School Care
- For on-site childcare options, visit the SED (Sudbury Extended Day) website: https://www.sudburyextendedday.org/
- Parks and Recreation Website: