- Sudbury Public Schools
May 22, 2020 // Superintendent's Update
Dear SPS Families,
How quickly certain words have become a part of our daily vernacular: pandemic, unprecedented, uncertain, synchronous, asynchronous, social distancing, to name just a few. The term “new normal” can be found in almost every communication about proposed reopening plans. Disconcertingly, there really is no way to fully understand what the “new normal” will look like. As a district, Sudbury is diligently working in tandem with state and local officials and neighboring districts to develop contingency plans that reflect potential health and safety, educational, and economic realities. We are making improvements to our facilities now during the closure in order to be prepared for the start of the school this fall. The purpose of this communication is to share with you what the “new normal” will look like for the remaining weeks of the 2019-20 school year.
- Calendar: On May 18, 2020, the School Committee voted a revised calendar for the 2020-21 school year. Of note is that school will be in session for students on Friday, September 4th, Patriot’s Day will be observed on September 14th, and the last day of school will be Friday, June 18, 2021.
- Moving-On Celebrations: Socially distanced “Beep-Outs” will be held for rising fifth- and eighth-graders. All car parades will take place at ECMS. Specifics will be shared by the building principals.
- Monday, June 15: Loring @ 10 AM, Nixon @ 1 PM
- Tuesday, June 16: Haynes @ 10 AM, Noyes @ 1 PM
- Wednesday, June 17: ECMS @ 11 AM
Additionally, individual buildings are planning virtual moving on ceremonies to recognize and celebrate our hard-working graduates.
- Retrieval of Personal Property and Return of School Property: Schools will be communicating with families regarding the retrieval of personal property and return of school property. Schedules are being developed that ensure social distancing. Materials will be gathered and distributed by the school staff. For families whose only device is a school device, there will be a final drop off opportunity on June 22nd.
- Kindergarten Orientation: A virtual welcome to kindergarten will be shared with families on June 3. Orientation days are being planned for the beginning of the school year.
- Extended School Year: Guidance from DESE regarding Extended School Year services for students with an IEP who are at risk of significant learning regression is evolving in response to state directives. At this time, SPS is developing a remote learning model.
- Feedback Surveys: In anticipation of the need for distance learning in the future and with the desire to evolve our instruction to best meet the needs of students and families, students in grades 2-8 will be surveyed about their remote learning experience next week. Their feedback, the feedback we have gathered from staff, and anticipated further guidance from DESE will help to shape a survey that will be sent to families before the close of the school year.
In closing, I want to extend my appreciation to the community for its support during these unprecedented, uncertain, socially distanced, anything but normal times.
Superintendent of Schools
If you need to translate this information, copy and paste it into Google Translate.
The link to Google translate is http://translate.google.com/
Si necesita traducir esta información, cópiela y péguela en el Traductor de Google.
El enlace al traductor de Google es http://translate.google.com/
Se você precisar traduzir essas informações, copie e cole no Google Translate.
O link para o tradutor do Google é http://translate.google.com/