March 13, 2020 // Superintendent's Update on School Closures
Dear SPS Families,
I wanted to send an update on the status of our school closures and planning efforts. We appreciate patience as we work through these challenging days, and we hope this finds you and your family healthy.
1. We participated in a lengthy conference call with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) and the Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). We learned...
DESE is seeking MCAS waivers for either the testing window or suspending testing. We should know more in a few weeks.
DESE provided clarification on how to account for the days we are missing. The first four days (3/13 to 3/18) are considered “snow days” and will be made up, making the last day of this year June 23 regardless of how many more days we miss due to COVID-19.
2. We met with teacher leaders to review our plans for optional learning extensions. We plan to provide additional and detailed information later next week.
3. School and district administrators met to work out operational details such as cleaning the buildings, scheduling, supports for families, and preparing for the return of the students..
4. For students who may have left essential personal items in the school buildings and would like to retrieve them next week, the building will be accessible on Tuesday, March 17th from 9 A.M. to 12 P.M. For medication pick-ups, nurses will be available from 9-10 A.M.
5. Finally, I received several questions related to April Break. To be clear, we are not considering moving April Break.
Thank you for your patience and support as we work to make the best decisions for our students, staff, and families.