Arrival & Dismissal
Haynes School is committed to ensuring a safe arrival and dismissal for each student. To that end, we have developed the following arrival and dismissal procedures. Parents should be familiar with these expectations. The goal of arrival and dismissal is safety, not expediency. Please plan accordingly, especially in the opening days of school and during inclement weather. More information on arrival, dismissal and transportation is available in the Sudbury Public Schools Parent Handbook.
- Morning arrival is from 7:45 – 7:55 a.m.
- Dismissal is from 2:25 – 2:35 p.m., and 11:45 – 11:55 p.m. on ILAP Early Release Wednesdays
- Drivers, walkers, bicyclists and scooter riders must follow all posted traffic and parking signs as well as the crossing guard, school staff and police direction at all times
- Students must walk on sidewalks and cross only at crosswalks
- Drive slowly
- Seatbelts must be worn at all times
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks
- Never walk between buses or vans
- Park in designated spaces only
- Do not idle in car line or parking spaces
Arrival is from 7:45 – 7:55 a.m. Haynes staff are present to supervise and assist students during morning arrival. Students are not allowed to arrive or exit cars prior to 7:45 a.m. unless they are participating in a before-school program.
Upon arrival, students proceed directly to their classrooms. Students are expected to be in the building by 7:55 a.m. Those entering after 7:55 a.m. are marked as tardy. Families arriving after 7:55 a.m. should use the front lobby entrance.
LIVE DROP-OFF & PICK UP (INDIVIDUAL CARS & CARPOOLS)
Arrival by car is a LIVE DROP-OFF/PICK-UP SYSTEM. Students who arrive by car are dropped off and picked up in the live drop off loop to the left of the school. Please note the following:
- FOLLOW ALL SIGNS AND MARKINGS—Stop signs and no passing signs should be followed (except when a staff member directs you otherwise. Do not block crosswalks unless signaled to do so. PULL ALL THE WAY UP—Every foot counts as we work to get vehicles into the car line and allow the most cars to disembark or load at once. Students will walk to meet cars as needed.
- NO BLOCKING ENTRANCES—Do not block the entrance to the front bus circle. Remain on Haynes Road until you can clear the entry to the circle.
- ZIPPER MERGE—When turning right into the Haynes lot, cars should merge as a zipper from two lanes into one.
- HANDS-FREE—Massachusetts law requires that drivers not use mobile devices while driving in the car line. Drivers are to refrain from calls/texts that require any hand-held usage. Beyond safety, this distraction slows down our line.
- PASSENGER SIDE ONLY—Students enter/exit from the passenger side of the car only. Drivers may safely exit cars to assist students exiting/entering vehicles when necessary.
- NO PASSING—The car line is a single lane. Do not pass other vehicles in the car line, except when directed by a staff member or if a car is temporarily parked with flashers on at the head of the line.
For students who require assistance: Please keep moving up in the line until an adult is able to meet your vehicle. An adult will assist your child in entering or exiting the vehicle. Have your student’s belongings ready for drop-off. If necessary, please move to a parking space and wait for additional assistance.
Dismissal is from 2:25 – 2:35 p.m. (11:45 – 11:55 p.m. on ILAP Early Release Wednesdays). Vehicles should not line up before 2:00 p.m. (M, T, W, F) or 11:20 on ILAP Early Release Wednesdays.
Please post a sign in your passenger side window with your child(ren)'s LAST NAME. Staff will call students to the pickup line in the order in which cars are lined up. Pull your vehicle away as soon as your child is safely in the vehicle.
If any staff member does not recognize the parent or designated pick-up caregiver, he/she may direct the driver to park their vehicle and proceed to the school office to be properly identified before dismissing the student.
Parents should not arrive on foot to pick up a student dismissing to the car line; parents on foot will wait until the end of the car line dismissal.
TAKING THE SCHOOL BUS
Bus transportation is available through the Sudbury Public Schools Transportation Department. More information on Sudbury school buses is available here.
WALKING AND BICYCLING TO AND FROM SCHOOL
Students are encouraged to walk, bike or scooter to school with parent permission. Students must practice the route and review proper safety procedures with their parents prior to taking it independently.
Please arrive on time if you plan to meet your child at any one of the drop-off sites. The crossing guard will not be able to stay and wait with your child. A student is not considered a “walker” if a parent drives to the school to pick up a child. Car pickups should use the appropriate car line pickup system.
Students who walk must stay with the crossing guard. Students who do not remain with the crossing guard or cross the street in an unsafe manner will lose their privilege of walking to school. Parents are responsible for the behavior of their children walking to and from school.
North Route Crossings:
- Haynes Road @ Wadsworth Road
- Julian’s Way
South Route Crossings:
- Haynes parking lot entrance
- Hadley Road
- Dunster Road
- Haynes Road @ Puffer Road
Kindergarten/Grade 1 students may meet parents at any point along the route after leaving school property. If no parent is present at the end of the route, the crossing guard walks the student(s) back to the school office.
Grade 2-5 students are escorted to the final crossing and proceed home from that point.
Bicyclists/scooter riders must:
- wear helmets
- walk their bicycles/scooters on the school property
- remain on the sidewalks at all times and walk/cross at crosswalks
- use bicycle racks to store bicycles
There is limited access to parking on school grounds. Parking priority is given to parents with appointments in the school (volunteering, visiting or meeting), parents picking up children from the Health Office and parents with children requiring additional assistance. Parking is available on neighboring streets; signage is posted to indicate no-parking zones.
Parking is prohibited in the car line loop and in crosswalks, fire lanes or handicapped spaces without a placard.
RIGHT TURN ONLY RESTRICTION
Per the Sudbury Police Department, left turns into the main Haynes parking lot are PROHIBITED between the hours of 7:30-8:00 AM and 2:15-2:45 PM (11:15-11:45 on Wednesdays).
MAKING A CHANGE IN YOUR CHILD’S DISMISSAL PLAN
Parents submit daily dismissal plans for each student at the start of the school year. Advance notice is required for a change in a student’s dismissal plan. When changing your child’s dismissal plan, including dismissing a child to another parent, please call the office or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and the office will change your child’s plan accordingly. Please do not make dismissal changes after 1:00 p.m.